Wednesday, February 1, 2012

More Old South

RV:
We've been here at Natchez State Park for 8 days. There is no sewer hook up. Scott decided to lighten our load, by dumping the tanks. He used our portable sewer tote and he's still very happy with it.  He didn't even tow it with the truck.  He just pulled it along while he walked to the dump station.  Very good investment.

NJ:
Good news, our house in NJ is under contract and the home inspection has been completed. The last hurdle to jump over is the Certificate of Occupancy. That is always a stressful part of sale. You can get an ass of a municipal worker who abuses his "power" and picks at every little thing, or you can get a decent municipal worker, who takes pride in his job and requires dangers to be fixed, but doesn't pick at every little thing.
Here's hoping, we are fortunate enough to have the latter inspect our premises. We are hoping for a closing by the end of February. Quarterly taxes were due Feb. 1st, so we had to dish out, $1640.00. Hopefully, that will be our last and maybe a refund also.

SIGHTS:
LONGVIEW PLANTATION Our Rating 3.5 out of 5 Tour Price: $12.00
I would have rated this higher, if the tour guide was better. She was very quick to say her memorized info. and really didn't give much time to observe the surroundings. She did not have a love or real interest in the history as our other tour guides have at the other homes.

This is a beautiful structure though. It looks like a tiered wedding cake! 6 stories, in the round that get smaller in diameter with each level.  The top floor was to be all windows and an observatory.

Unfortunately, only the basement was finished. The Civil War came, the workers had to go to war. After the War, there was no money to continue, so the inside of this magnificent home was never finished.  I love the set up. I'd love to have a single story home in this shape. There are two center main rooms (dining room & living room). Then surrounding those center rooms are the bedrooms, sitting rooms, etc. alternating with a patio area.

We went to the unfinished second floor which gave us a view of the heart of this structure. I'd move into that second floor easily! Brick walls, hardwood floors, open floor plan.

If this were finished, the brick on both the inside & outside would be covered with stucco.  I like the brick myself.
If you look up while in the center of this 2nd floor, it is open and you can view all the upper floors shrinking in diameter.
FOOD/BEVERAGE:
MAMMY'S CUPBOARD Our Rating 3.5 out of 5
Mammy's Cupboard on Urbanspoon

Love the novelty of the building. Staff very friendly. Very simple decor, like going to Grandma's outdated home.
Reuben: The pumpernickel bread for the Reuben was delicious, but the Reuben, no so much. Enough corned beef, but not enough swiss cheese and I did not taste any kraut, which is a must for a Reuben.
Tomato vegetable soup: average, but enjoyable.
Potato salad: DELICIOUS with a touch of sweet chopped pickle mixed in.
Tues. special was Rosemary chicken:  Average. Chicken was nicely roasted, but nothing special. Gravy was delicious, but not enough.
Blueberry Lemonade: Very good. Not real sweet, not real tart. Fill ups free.
Lemon Meringue Pie: Below average. I like the tart bright yellow lemon filling. This was a muted yellow, with just a slight lemon taste. The meringue's top was a thick brown and too sticky to cut apart without a knife.
Humingbird cake: DELICIOUS. A not so sweet cake/bread with pecans? or walnuts?, coconut and cream cheese icing. Great with a cup of coffee.
While paying the bill, we got to talking with the owner/cashier about Natchez. Spoke of the author Greg Isles and how his books take place in the Natchez area.  We find out that he was brought up in Natchez and Mammy's owner has known him for years.
I would return here again if convenient.


BOOKS:
Speaking of authors, both Scott & I love Greg Isles' books. Scott has read more than I have. Below is a list of the ones I have read or listened to in the past.
The Quiet Game: My rating 5 out of 5
True Evil: My rating 5 out of 5
Turning Angel: My Rating 4 out of 5
Third Degree: My rating 5 out of 5

On to the present:

Long Lost (Myron Bolitar, #9)Long Lost by Harlan Coben
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This is a Myron Bolitar series. Always a good murder mystery read.


View all my reviews


Currently reading Side by Side by John Ramsey Miller
Suspense/Mystery

AUDIO:

The Rose GardenThe Rose Garden by Susanna Kearsley
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Audio, Fiction: Time travel, romance. Not really sci-fi except that it IS time travel. More of a romance.  If you like Diana Gabaldon's time travel Outlander series, you'll like The Rose Garden.


View all my reviews


Currently listening to Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins. This is part 2 of The Hunger Games Trilogy.

CRAFTS:
A while back I mentioned I finished a shrug knit from my Irish Setters Ryley & Pillsbury & my English Setter, Lyla's spun fur.
Here's a photo. I love it.
I have finished the diagonal striped scarf, but it is blocking.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Our Travels