Monday, April 29, 2013

Roller Coaster Emotions


April 28 - May 1, 2013 (4 days) - McGee Creek RV Park, Mammoth Lakes, CA
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`
I'm too old to have PMS! But it sure feels like that is what I'm experiencing! I don't like it!
Stressed: I wake and take the dogs out. They are pulling more than usual. The campground is chaotic with families being noisy packing up, kids crying because they don't want to leave and two yappy dogs right behind us.
I walk to the Eastside Bakery across the street from the RV park. I'm planning to order some kind of home made pastry and a coffee for breakfast. I'll sit outside and enjoy some peace while reading and eating my breakfast. CLOSED! Grrr. I've got to get out of this place. I need some "me time". How silly. My RV life is almost all "me time".
I'm outta here. This is my note left for Scott when he woke up.
Calm: I head into the town of Mammoth Lakes looking for a quiet breakfast spot.  I walk into Good Life Cafe (review below). I feel myself calming already. Nancy (?), a very pleasant waitress says to pick any table that is clean. I'm so glad that most patrons have preferred to sit outside. The dining room is bright and quiet...just what I need. I enjoy breakfast while reading my kindle and drinking cup after cup of pretty good coffee. The waitress leaves me be and I feel myself, calming, calming, calm.
Thankful: After my therapy breakfast, I head out to Schat's Bakery (review below). Another great experience. No pushy counter help, not crowded. I take my time looking at all the wonderful products. $38.00 later, I head back home. Another realization that calmed me, was the fact that I COULD spend $38.00 on a whim and not have to worry about it. We are very fortunate to have two decent pensions.
Hope: On my way back, I am hoping the families have left. I see Mammoth Mountain RV Park and stop in. Ahhhh, there's hope. This is a beautiful pine forest, pine needle ground covered RV park and campground. Yes I can hope our future destinations will be more secluded.
Melancholy: Later in the day, Scott & I take a drive. Scott plays music on his IPod. It's amazing how music can bring out all kinds of memories.
"Without You" sung by Harry Nilsson playing first reminds me of at age 14, Dad caught me smoking and grounded me. So I wasn't able to see or talk on the phone with the boy I liked. I played this song over and over and over in my room on my little 45 record player. This song also reminds me of my college days and
Similar to this.
my breakup with my college fiance, Jeff.
Deb & Jeff 1976
"Let It Be" Beatles song reminds me of my childhood in Asbury Park, NJ. I would buy the Beatles trading cards with the piece of bubble gum in the pack. The Beatles were my first celebrity crush.
Thinking of my youth is definitely melancholy. The memories, my youth gone, but also thinking, do I really want to relive my youth?
I told Scott that if I'm ever in a coma, to play music. Music would be the most likely technique of jolting my brain and bring me around.
Happiness: I'm once again, happy in the moment. No use wishing for the past or wishing for my youth. Both are not possible. Also I'm happy with my life today in spite of the little annoyances that make my moods swing.
Contentment: I am content, even though I may rant and rave. Part of my contentment is that I can release by ranting. I am content in my marriage with an easy going husband who is devoted to me. I am content in our financial situation. We are middle income retirees with no real money worries and no major health problems. Ahhhh. Life is good.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
RESTAURANT REVIEW:
Good Life Cafe, Mammoth Lakes, CA 93546
My rating 4 out of 5
Restaurant is in a strip mall, but once you walk in, it has a "homey" feel. There is an outside, umbrella covered deck for al fresco dining. This is a ski town and I'm sure diners enjoy eating out there even in the winter with California's dry cold weather.
Very pleasant waitress.
Swiss cheese omelet: Very good. The omelets are made with four eggs which I think is too much. The norm I find are 3 egg omelets and even that is a large omelet. The swiss cheese was melted on top of the omelet. I prefer the cheese to be inside the omelet. But the omelet was still good.
Hash Browns: Very good. Shredded potatoes, that may have been the previous night's leftover baked potatoes. I could taste the the crispy baked skin of the potatoes in the shredded mixture. I liked it.  A touch of mexican seasoning added to make a nice side dish.
Whole Wheat toast: Oh my gosh! Delicious. I should have asked what bakery supplied this. Hearty multi grain and subtly sweet bread.
Coffee: Average. Good enough for me to drink black.

Schat's Bakery, Mammoth Lakes, CA 93546
My rating 5 out of 5
I believe there is a restaurant serving sandwiches also. I only tried the bakery.
Upon entering, my eyes widened in taking the loaves of bread, the pastries, the chocolates, oh my! There's only so much I can eat before items will go stale.

Hmmm, Asiago cheese bread or Muesli bread?
Muesli bread was the winner and a great choice. I tried this toasted,but it seemed to dry out. So I next tried it right from the bag. A heavy, hearty, moist bread full of grains, fruit and nuts. Delicious with Philly Cinnamon cream cheese spread thinly on it.
Blueberry Pastry: Delicious. Definitely fresh blueberries made the filling amid a fluffy sweet bread pastry.
Cookies: Good but very crumbly.Take a bite and they fall apart. The lemon & raspberry thumbprint cookies were difficult to eat. The fruit center was so stiff, I couldn't bite through and the cookie broke apart into crumbs.
Coconut peanut brittle: Home made and yummy.

Chocolate Truffles: Excellent! Creamy, rich, smooth decadent center covered in a wonderful chocolate shell.

Cafe 395 aka Crowley Lake General Store, Crowley Lake, CA
Our rating 4 out of 5
This is a gas station/convenience store/cafe.
First off, diesel was 50 cents per gallon cheaper here than 12 miles away in Mammoth Lakes.
Well stocked 7-11 type store. The cafe part has about 3 tables for eating in, a refrigerated section with drinks, ready made sandwiches, & salads.
Very nice staff. The young adult boy/man in the cafe seemed to really take pride in his job.
A little high priced, but it's really the only convenience store in the area, so they can get away with the prices. I would love to have this family run store in my area.
Fresh fruit smoothie: I had a raspberry/banana smoothie with yogurt. Thick and delicious.
Pizza: Being from the NY/NJ area, we are very particular about our pizza. What a pleasant surprise! They make great pizza! If this were the only pizza place around, I'd be very satisfied.

Pre Made sandwiches: Egg salad was fair. Tuna salad with a kick was delicious. Both served on a large whole wheat roll & romaine lettuce. The tuna definitely had a bite to it. I don't think it was jalepeno, maybe more a dash of cayenne pepper.
Definitely a great store to have in the neighborhood.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
BROWSING THE WWW://
Garden Fork video podcast is an interesting and entertaining podcast. I first viewed this because Eric would video his trying to make a recipe for the first time. His wife videos while he cooks. They show his mistakes, as well as his triumphs. They show his lack of measuring skills also. But all in all, it's fun to watch a "real" person try out the recipes.
He has two yellow labs and a quick clip of them playing is thrown into the video podcast.
Mr. Garden Fork aka Eric, also does beekeeping and gardening. So he's always full of info. Check him out. He's a likeable guy. He kind of reminds me of the host of "Dirty Jobs".
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
BOOK REVIEW:

As the Crow DiesAs the Crow Dies by Ken Casper
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

He lost his legs in Vietnam and is learning to deal with his disability. He comes home to find out his Father is dead.
Decent mystery with good character development. The amputee's feelings how he deals with people and how people react to him is interesting. No feeling sorry for this guy.
He is surrounded by family and friends. The family dealing with racial prejudices and religion. His friends staying loyal. A good read.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


WHERE WE ARE HEADED:
May 2 -  6, 2013 (5 days) - Tahoe Valley RV Park - South Lake Tahoe, CA
May 7, 2013 (overnight) - Kelly's Family Kampground, Upper Lake, CA
May 8 - 19, 2013 (12 days) - Azalea Glen RV Park, Trinidad, CA
Crater Lake, OR
June 14 - 24, 2013 Armitage County Park, Eugene, OR 
OR, ID, WA, MT, ND, SD, WY, then south for the Winter of 2013/2014

No comments:

Post a Comment

Our Travels