Sunday, July 28, 2013

The downside

July 28-Aug. 3, 2013 Riverview RV Park, Forks, WA
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Worry never robs tomorrow of its sorrow, but only saps today of its strength.”

― A.J. Cronin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

RV LIFE:
Yes, there are some downsides to Full Time RV'ing, but overall, the overwhelming good makes the bad well worth "suffering" through.
Always moving. Most times I seem to get very stressed on moving day. Devin feels my stress and he tries to hide in the bedroom or under the RV while I pack. 1st, I usually don't want to go. 2nd, PIA to pack everyday use things away so they don't slide around while traveling. 3rd, opening the RV upon arrival, only to see I forgot to secure the wine cabinet and yes a bottle is broken all over the floor. Before we can open the slides, I need to clean up the mess and try to get the glass out from under the slides before letting them out. Or, thinking my ceramic pot with my shamrock plant is safely snuggled on the easy chair wrapped in a blanket. Nope, that bounced off the chair onto the floor and breaking the pot that I've had for 30 years from a vacation to Stone Mtn., GA. This is the second time I've lost this plant. The first time I could glue the pieces back together and added good potting soil. This time...in the garbage. One less thing to secure while we travel.


Every time we arrive at a new place we have to adjust our attitudes as to what is a good site. We have to make the best of any site we settle into. I also worry, will the slides come out? We've never had a problem, but I still worry. Scott feels my stress a lot. He points out that I need to relax, which makes me realize that I'm more stressed than I realized and need to adjust my attitude. How? My wonderful hubby offers me a shot of 100 proof Rumpleminze. Ahhhh. Just enough to take the edge off and I'll be fine.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
RV MOD:
Just a small mod that makes me happy. We saw someone else with this set up and thought it was a good idea.
We didn't want the stair treads. We wanted something that would cover the spaces behind the stairs. Our dogs do pretty good climbing up and down the stairs, but sometimes Lyla has a difficult time getting started. Now that we've put this 24" wide x 60" long carpet runner on the stairs, she goes up them much quicker. And for the humans, I like the way it feels on my feet going up and also it helps catch some dirt, so less dragged into the RV. When we move, we just unhook the bungees and shake out.
Anyone have suggestions for improvement?
Mom, I don't want to go back inside.
Sometimes she still will refuse to go inside, but that's not because of the stairs, it's just that she doesn't want to go back inside. Yes, she can be a stubborn B - - - -! (Please, no comments about just like her Mom)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SIGHTS & SOUNDS:
We had the unique opportunity to hear the Indian drum songs from different tribes. The Makah Tribe is located in Neah Bay, and the Quileute Tribe is located in La Push. This past weekend was the Tribal Journeys 2013 Paddle to Quinault. There is not much info about it to the public. It's definitely a Native American celebration. There were about 100 of those long wooden canoes. I'm still not sure where from and to they traveled. I never actually saw them take off. Neah Bay, WA is on the Northern part of the peninsula and Quinault a lake inland and La Push, WA is on the opposite side of the peninsula.
What we did hear around town, is that this was a rare occurrence to have so many participants.

While staying both in Neah Bay and Forks, we could hear the drum songs while inside our RV. One night they lasted until after 1:00am. But, it wasn't annoying. It was quite soothing, interesting & reverent.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
COFFEE REVIEW:
Cape "D" Blend (Cape Disappointment), Dark Roast by Long Beach Coffee Roasters


My rating 4 out of 5
A nice bold flavor, but smooth.
From their website:
"Roasted and blended especially for the USCG Motor Lifeboat School at Cape Disappointment.
This coffee is smooth, sweet and dark: Lots of character!"
Only available through mail order or Long Beach, WA.








~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
BOOK REVIEW:
Against the Night (The Raines of Wind Canyon, #5)

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Definitely a mystery for the Ladies. Muscle toned, confident, independent male PI & petite, sweet schoolteacher with a sexy alter ego that she is learning about and exploring. Lots of romance and a very good mystery.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Alien Autopsy
CRAFTS:
Biology 101
 Someone has too much time on their hands, or they are tired of making shawls! These patterns are created and knitted by Emily Stoneking. She sells these on the internet in her Etsy Shop. You can check out her other projects if you are a member of Ravelry.


Knitted brain, etc
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
RV PARK REVIEW:
The Village RV Park, Neah Bay, WA
Our rating 1 out of 5
We didn't stay here but passed it many times during our Neah Bay travels. It is a dirty parking lot, with very close sites, and mainly very junky permanents there.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FOOD/PRODUCT REVIEW:
Dave's Killer Bread, Blues bread
My rating 5 out of 5
"Just say no to bread on drugs"
My Mom introduced me to Arnold Oat Nut, in the Eastern US, which is Oroweat in the West. At the time it was Honey Oat Nut. Now it is just plain Oat Nut. The first couple of years it was wonderful. Oat flakes sprinkled on top, with chopped walnuts and hazelnuts throughout. It was sweet, hearty and good for you. Now it is just blah. I thought maybe the different brand name was the difference, but nooooo, when we came back to NJ last fall, Arnold brand was now just as bad. So my search for a hearty, sweet, good for me bread with a crunch was on.
Dave's Killer Bread

Arnold Oat Nut
Just no comparing. Since I eat a slice of bread toasted with PB&J almost every morning, my bread is important. Besides, Dave's hearty bread helps "The Go" as Charmin TP has coined this phrase.
There is an interesting back story to Dave's Killer Bread. Dave spent 15 years in prison. He made a change in his life and we benefit.
Take care...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
WHERE WE'RE GOING:
Aug. 4-10, 2013 Silver Cove RV Resort, Silver Lake, WA
Aug. 12-18, 2013 Coeur d'Alene RV Park, Post Falls, ID
Aug. 19-28, 2013 Jim & Mary's RV Park, Missoula, MT
Aug. 29-Sept. 1, 2013 Jennifer's Driveway Boondock, Bozeman, MT
Sept. 2-5, 2013 Mammoth Campground, Yellowstone, WY (Tentative)
Sept. 6-15, 2013 Horseshoe Bend Campground NFS, Lovell, WY (Tentative)
Sept. 16-30, 2013 Wheels West RV Park, Custer, SD

south for the Winter of 2013/214

No comments:

Post a Comment

Our Travels