Monday, August 26, 2013

USPS needs your help

Aug. 19-28, 2013 Jim & Mary's RV Park, Missoula, MT
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"As human beings, we have a natural compulsion to fill empty spaces." 

Will Shortz
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
RV LIFE:
The above quote fits in well with why I love the Fulltime RV lifestyle. The more room we have, the more "stuff" we accumulate to fill those rooms. Sure, we could fill up our RV more, but that's more weight that is being towed, more wear & tear on the RV and less room in an already small living area.
If you click the link to the author of that quote, you find he is a puzzle creator! So his meaning is totally different than how I perceived it, but it works for me.

We had some rain last night. It's been a long time since we've experienced rain. Even while in the Pacific Northwest, we didn't have rain! This rain really cooled things off. I'm sitting outside blogging in my crocs and my tootsies are cold! Time for some socks. (Yes, you smart alecks, I have more than just crocs on!)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FOOD (Beverage):
Yesterday, on the other hand, was almost too hot to sit outside. The saving grace are the 2 shade trees at our site. So to help cool me off, or maybe just to satisfy a sweet tooth, I made some kind of smoothie/milkshake concoction. 

Delicious, refreshing and got a buzz to boot!
So yesterday, I decided to make a smoothie with what I had on hand. Having a double dip ice cream cone within 3 or 4 days, has got my sweet tooth craving more. Let's see, a handful of ice, some 1% milk, add a banana, a lets throw in some chocolate peanut butter, that I'll never use. Blend. Taste...eh. Needs a little "somethin, somethin". Add some Hershey's chocolate syrup and some malt powder. Blend. PERFECT! ALMOST HEAVEN! Yum. No need for ice cream today. Tomorrow is another story!

A few weeks back while in Neah Bay, WA, we were gifted a watermelon. I used some as just a refreshing cubed fruit snack, but I also made a Watermelon & Vodka adult beverage.
Delicious, refreshing and I got a buzz to boot?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
RV MOD:
Scott went out yesterday in search of plastic drawers for his clothes. We have been looking for 6 months for the same drawers he purchased somewhere along our travels. They are Sterlite, but they are no longer shown on the Sterlite site. These drawers are deep & long with air holes and rollers for smooth opening and closing. I hate when you find a good thing and it's discontinued. He came back with similar but not the same in size. I hope they work, because I get his original Sterlite drawers to add to my stack! 
 Scott's drawers on left, Debbie's drawers on right. (Closet)

We use the large drawers in our closet to hold a lot of items from clothes, to crafts, to computer supplies. They are lightweight and fit a multitude of ways in the closet.
We also have the 15, 16, & 20 quart sized tubs in the basement. They hold enough to keep things organized and stack nicely. When I need something, I can easily take the tubs out to find what I need, then re-stack again. The large 55 quart tubs just hold too much and things get lost in there.
Tubs in basement
Also I have quite a few variants of these type of drawers. 
One set of 6 is under the kitchen table for pens, envelopes, electronic chargers, paperwork, etc.
I use a smaller version for jewelry, and another version for craft supplies. Never enough storage for my crafts.





~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
BROWSING THE WWW:
I subscribe to this e-newsletter. I don't make use of their info as much now that we are on the road. But they inform us of all kinds of free things. Anywhere from a free cup of coffee at certain restaurants, to free no-snore nose thingies (got those and they help), to free Kindle books, etc. Now that we are on the road, I'm not as interested in getting free items mailed. 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
CRAFTS & PETS:
ONLY last Wednesday, I posted my Rat hammock project. I enjoyed making this simple item to give the Ratkins a cozy bed. Well, ONLY 5 DAYS later and look! I was warned and in the back of my mind, I knew this would happen. 
See the center hanging thingie? Just barely a few pieces of yarn left. To the right of the center, I now have the hammock held up to the cage with a binder clip. I'll keep modifying as they keep chewing away.
It was still worth the couple of hours to make. Even though they are only going to get about a week's use out of it, I was happy the whole time crocheting, knowing I was making this silly little luxury for these sweet Ratkins who will soon be back with their family. They are so easy to care for. I've loved experimenting with giving them people food. They like bran flakes cereal a lot. They will be going home with more food than they came with!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
PET PEEVE:
Ahh, you may wonder what is wrong with this photo? Fellow RV'rs will be looking at the black tank hose in front. Is it kinked? Is the connection not sealed properly? Is the hose overlapping into my RV site? Nope, nope, nope.
It's that white US POSTAL SERVICE PLASTIC BIN!!!! This is a huge pet peeve of mine. I retired from the Postal Service, have a decent pension and the job wasn't too bad. I stayed there 32 years.
These tubs are NOT for your own personal use. I've seen them all over. At many campgrounds, at the vendor's booths at fairs, in people's yards and basements. "The Postal Service Is Losing $50 Million Every Year Because It Can't Keep Track Of These Plastic Bins" 
There is actually a potential $1000.00 fine and up to 3 year jail term for using these tubs for other than mail. Please don't claim ignorance. This is printed right on the tubs. The USPS has offered amnesty for a time. Would the USPS really prosecute? I doubt it, but there's always that one to set an example of.
These tubs are loaned out to businesses who receive a large volume of mail. The businesses should return the tubs with their outgoing mail, or give to their postal carrier for return to the Post Office. Also, these are given out when residents may have accumulated mail after vacations. This is a courtesy to use these tubs so you don't have to try to carry all your mail in your arms, or supply your own tote. Please don't keep these tubs. Drop them off at the entrance of any Post Office, or leave by your mailbox for the mail carrier to pick up.

 Or contact the US Postal Service to set up a return of this equipment.








~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
WHERE WE'RE GOING:
Aug. 29-Sept. 1, 2013 Jennifer's Driveway Boondock, Bozeman, MT
Sept. 2-5, 2013 Mammoth Campground, Yellowstone, WY (Tentative)
Sept. 6-15, 2013 Horseshoe Bend Campground NFS, Lovell, WY (Tentative)
Sept. 16-30, 2013 Wheels West RV Park, Custer, SD

south for the Winter of 2013/2014

No comments:

Post a Comment

Our Travels