Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Friends and Food for the Holiday

Hidden Valley Ranch, Deming, NM  
Mon. 11/25/13  Fri. 11/22/13 - Wed. 1/1/14 (5 weeks)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"If you can't be a good example, you'll just have to be a horrible warning." 
Catherine the Great 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
RV LIFE:
You meet the nicest people at Hidden Valley. We had a Christmas Eve Pot Luck dinner with the RV park supplying Ham and Turkey. Yum. Scott made candied sweet potatoes. What a huge buffet of food! What a great time. Even the little 2 year old girl sitting in the high chair next to me didn't bother me.

After dinner we had a camper sing a couple of songs while we were waiting for the special guest.
Santa (another camper) handed out gift bags to the 8-10 kids that were there. Santa is truly amazing that he can take time to hand out gifts to the kids at Hidden Valley on Christmas Eve. They must have been extra good this year.







Another camper donated a door prize in which Scott won!
A crocheted afghan. But not just "any" afghan, this one is made with the colors of the Irish Flag, so that was appropriate for an IRISH Setter owner to have.
Thank you Sherry. That was thoughtful. Sherry also makes WONDERFUL biscuits. I took 2 extra home in a doggie bag but they aren't for the dogs.






Scott is putting the afghan to good use already. He was overcome by sleepiness, ya know, after eating turkey? Or at least that is what he's blaming it on.
And dear Dina had to keep Scott company. Dina is still up for adoption.





I love it here, but I am itching to move on. A month in one place is long enough. I do like the idea of staying a month instead of a week or two. But I'd only want to do that at a place that we visited before and like or comes highly recommended by friends with like tastes.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FOOD & FRIENDS:

Our neighbors brought us over a "thank you" gift for recommending this RV Park to them. They are planning on staying until March. And what a delicious gift it was. I mentioned earlier that Mike ordered a smoker. Well he broke it in by smoking two beef briskets. One for him and one for us! Wow! Our travels have introduced us to smoked meats and fish. We have become spoiled by this process. When I think of BBQ now, it must be smoked first, or it's just not worth it for me anymore. It's not all in the sauce...it's in the finesse of smoking it just right, with a great marinade and dry rub. Thank you so much Mike and Maryanne. The brisket was HEAVEN!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
CRAFTS:
Dog Sweater


I put a tub out at the office with some of the things I've crocheted. I was hoping that people would purchase some items for Christmas, plus that would free up some space in the RV. 
Bucket hat



More mint green than blue.

I sold these items as well as a few other small items.
Total money raised to donate to Above & Beyond English Setter Rescue? $47.00. Not too bad.




I finished blocking my lace Mystery Knit-a-long Scarf. I'm reallly, really happy with it. Blocking your knitted and crocheted items makes them really bloom.  It makes a piece go from wrinkled to beautiful. It stretches out the fabric to really show the stitch definition.


As stated in my prior post...
The photo does not do this scarf justice! The yarn is so light and lofty. It is Luna, by S. Charles. It is lace weight, 71% mohair, 20% silk, and 9% metallic (glitter). There are also blue glass beads worked into the lace. I am so proud of this beautiful piece.
I am willing to sell this piece. I love to knit, but can only use so many scarfs, hats, etc. The yarn cost me $37. (remember mohair & silk). I am willing to sell this work of art for $60. including shipping. That only $23. for my hours and hours of labor. I probably am making $1. per hour on this. But the thought of someone else appreciating it and enjoying it makes up for the almost non-existent hourly wage.

I also crocheted another dog sweater by request for Bubbles, the long haired chihuahua.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
MOVIE REVIEW:
Think Like a Man, 2012, Romantic Comedy
My rating 4 out of 5
A very cute movie. Four friends conspire to turn the tables on their women when they discover the ladies have been using Steve Harvey's relationship advice against them.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
WHERE WE'RE GOING:
Thursday, 1/2/13 - 1/8/13 (1 week) Oliver Lee State Park, Alamogordo, NM (White Sands)


1 comment:

  1. Nice to be gifted a piece of crochet you didn't have to make...it's beautiful. Better yet send me some BBQ! Won't belong and you'll be moving out again...anxious to follow along. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete

Our Travels